Name: Amanda Crofts
Job title: Personal Trainer, Fitness Instructor & Postnatal Specialist
Time in current role: 5 years
Amanda is a Personal Trainer and the founder of Move with Mumma – a programme that provides a friendly environment for mums to work, socialise and bond with their babies.
1. Why did you decide to start your business?
I was having lots of fun working seasons abroad in my late twenties which was not the healthiest of lifestyles, this eventually led to me wanting to change my body shape and feel more confident. I started running and attending exercise classes and then trained as a fitness instructor and started my own community classes.
I wanted to help other women make permanent lifestyle changes so I trained as a Personal Trainer and Exercise Referral Specialist. Through working with women and talking to new mums I realised how much confusing and conflicting information there is when looking for postnatal exercise guidance so I qualified as a postnatal specialist. Move with Mumma was launched in May 2018.
2. What are the key functions of your role?
I do everything except the graphic design, luckily my partner is amazing at this. I plan and run all my fitness classes, personal training sessions and Move with Mumma sessions. I create healthy eating recipes and food plans for clients. I promote all sessions and run the social media accounts. I carry out postnatal health assessments. I work on my website and have just started to learn about SEO and marketing. I also do my own accounts and administration.
3. Talk us through your typical working day
Every day is a little bit different, and I love that! A typical weekday is like this…
- My to-do list is always done the night before
- I get up at 6am and have two coffees in my dressing gown at the computer whilst getting the most important tasks done first
- Squeeze in my own 15-minute workout
- Personal training clients at 7.30am
- Fitness class at 10.30am
- Lunch break at home with some session planning and marketing
- Fitness class or personal training mid-afternoon / early evening
- Snacks at home / prep dinner
- Evening classes from 6pm onwards (only twice a week) or an evening personal training client
4. Your favourite part of the job?
I love seeing clients get stronger, fitter and more confident. Seeing the confidence in my ladies grow and knowing that they are feeling good in themselves is so amazing. I love it when they tell me how they felt fantastic in a certain outfit, that they beat their fastest time running or that their daily life feels easier now that their fitness has improved. It’s why I started in the first place.
5. …and the part you could do without?
Carrying kit! I’m a mobile trainer and my car is full of kit that I carry to several different venues. It will be amazing when I’ve got my own venue.
6. How would your clients describe you in three words?
Motivating, dedicated and bouncy (I asked a few clients for help on this).
7. Plans for the future?
I would love my own venue! I will keep providing the best possible service to my customers whilst learning about SEO and marketing to help grow the business.
8. Do you have any advice for other aspiring entrepreneurs?
- Network with similar businesses in your local area and further.
- Contact a business person who inspires you and ask them questions, they might even become your mentor and help you grow your business.
- Practice mindfulness exercises to help you get you through the tough days. LLY